WHO WE ARE
Sernaglia’s family has an ancient heritage, linked to Antichi Signori di Sernaglia sul Piave; the family first moved to the Montello’s hillside in the early 800. Here then, in the heart of Treviso, extend the territories of the homonymous Wine Company, Sernaglia. Vineyard had been cultivated in this area since then, so much so that in 1590 the historian Boniface in his "Historia Trevigiana" wrote "The land produces (...) very good wines and the best is the Riviera del Montello".
In this area, since forever, winemakers seek to convey a deep connection between the winemaking tradition and this land generous, that is well suited for the production of the "nectar of the gods" with its peculiar climatic exposure and the nature of its clay soil, which is rich in iron and mineral components.
It was 1950 when the Cavalier Eugenio Sernaglia saw the potential to produce in the territories of Alta Marca trevigiana high quality wines. He planted in these lands Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc vineyards to produce red wines of high quality. In 1968 his family continued even with the vineyards of Glera to give birth to a white wine, which then became Prosecco Superiore del Montello e dei Colli Asolani. Respect and profound enhancement of the territory have always been the values adopted by Eugenio’s family, then and now .
Alta Marca Trevigiana is a hilly area in the province of Treviso which includes the territories of Asolo and Montello. The Montello hill is very special because of its clay soils, rich in iron and mineral components; its northern side is lapped by the Piave River. Sinkholes are typical of Montello, with the formation of caves and springs without scrolling of surface water. Its maximum height is 371m above sea level and its area is about 6000 hectares divided in the municipalities of Montebelluna, Crocetta del Montello, Giavera del Montello, Volpago del Montello e Nervesa della Battaglia.
HISTORY OF THE TERRITORY
One of the natural elements that influenced human settlement in this area was the proximity to the Piave River, which offered resources and a means of communication. At the end of the Bronze Age, Montebelluna became a very important meeting point between the plain and alpine valleys, rich in minerals.
When the Romans arrived in Northern Italy (2nd century B.C.), the Venetians became part of the Roman federation and started specializing in local products, like every other part of the Empire.
Everything remained more or less unaltered until the 11th and 13th centuries A.D. when the first great drainage, irrigation and tillage works started.
Under the Republic of Venice, Montello lived a period of peace and prosperity. Thanks to the financial resources of the noble families many important changes were carried out, in particular regarding new crops.
From 1471 the Republic of Venice started to be directly involved in Montello. With a new “ban” law they dispossessed all the inhabitants and anyone who had taken possession of the wooded areas and turned everything into state-owned property.
Montello became a natural reserve belonging to the Arsenal who was responsible for its maintenance and surveillance. This policy aimed at creating a well- organized system ensuring the Arsenal constant timber supply. The areas allocated to agriculture became fewer and there were also heavy penalties for those who accidently cut the small oaks while mowing the grass.
With the fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797, the wood lost its protection despite some French and Austrian attempts to reform the legislation on the topic in the 19th century. The Italian Republic gave the final blow to the remains of the ancient wood. With Bertolini’s Law in 1892 the wood was almost entirely deforested and half of it was assigned to poor families and the other half was sold privately to promote the growth of agricultural areas. However, the lack of surface water meant that Bertolini’s objectives could not be reached and slowly the wood started to take over once again.